European Virtual Institute for Gas Turbine Instrumentation
A definition of a ‘Virtual Institute’ can be found on the EU Cordis GROWTH web pages and is: “A network that links geographically dispersed complementary research and industrial capabilities with the potential to become a legal and self-supporting entity. The difference between Virtual Institutes and networks of other types is that a Virtual Institute needs to demonstrate the capability to become self-supporting”.
The idea behind the European Virtual Institute for Gas Turbine Instrumentation is to offer and maintain a platform for turbomachinery OEMs, vendors of sensors and instrumentation and academia.
EVI-GTI has more Wiki pages for Workgroups on:
- the Instrumentation Lab Gap Matrix,
- a draft specification on A Standard for Dynamic Pressure Measurements in Gas Turbines and
- an overview about testing opportunities for the whole community.
- a proposal for sharing tests on Scitek Instrumentation Test Engines
- a proposal for sharing tests on the BEARCAT Instrumentation Test Engine
The association organizes and provides workshops and conferences, forms multilateral or bilateral consortia and workgroups e.g. for instrumentation standardization, Blade Tip Timing (BTT), Telemetry etc.
European conferences of the European Virtual Institute for Gas Turbine Instrumentation (short: EVI-GTI International Conferences) are organized bi-annually and alternating with Joint Conferences together with the Propulsion Instrumentation Working Group (PIWG) which are being held alternatingly in the U.S. or in the EU every two years.
Together with PIWG, the European Virtual Institute for Gas Turbine Instrumentation (short: EVI-GTI International Conferences) has developed and continuously updated the Joint PIWG & EVI-GTI Instrumentation Lap Gap Matrix which sorts technologies for sensors, probes and instrumentation into several categories and shows which technologies are currently satisfactory (green label), which are not available but can be worked around (yellow label) and which are still not available today and thus prevent further development of gas turbine engines to higher efficiency (red label).
Table of Conferences
|Year||Int. Conf. (EU)||Joint Conf. (US/EU)||Conference name||Location||Country||Date|
|2004||1st||International Conference on Gas Turbine Instrumentation||Barcelona||Spain||28 - 29 September|
|2005||2nd||International Conference on Gas Turbine Instrumentation||Dubrovnik||Croatia||12 - 13 October|
|2006||3rd||International Conference on Gas Turbine Instrumentation||Rome||Italy||28 - 29 September|
|2007||1st||Joint EVI-GTI and PIWG Conference||Newport, RI||USA||29 October - 01 November|
|2008||2nd||Joint EVI-GTI and PIWG Conference||Sevilla||Spain||24 - 26 September|
|2009||4th||International Conference on Gas Turbine Instrumentation||Norrköping||Sweden||23 - 25 September|
|2010||3rd||Joint EVI-GTI and PIWG Conference||Newport, VA||USA||26 - 29 October|
|2011||5th||International Conference on Gas Turbine Instrumentation||Munich||Germany||10 - 14 October|
|2012||4th||Joint EVI-GTI and PIWG Conference||Florence||Italy||01 - 05 October|
|2013||6th||International Conference on Gas Turbine Instrumentation||Baden||Switzerland||27 - 29 November|
|2014||5th||Joint EVI-GTI and PIWG Conference||Hasbrouck Heights, NJ||USA||20 -24 October|
|2015||7th||International Conference on Gas Turbine Instrumentation||London||United Kingdom||03 - 05 November|
|2016||6th||Joint EVI-GTI and PIWG Conference||Berlin||Germany||27 - 29 September|
|2017||8th||International Conference on Gas Turbine Instrumentation||Amsterdam||The Netherlands||27 - 30 November|
|2018||7th||Joint EVI-GTI and PIWG Conference||Jupiter, FL||USA||29 October - 01 November|
|2019||9th||International Conference on Gas Turbine Instrumentation||Graz||Austria||20 - 21 November|
|2021||10th||Virtual International Conference on Gas Turbine Instrumentation||-||-||planned for November|
Table of Workshops
This section is still incomplete.
|2006||Tip-Timing & Tip Clearance||Whetstone||United Kingdom||08 - 09 February|
|2007||Tip-Timing & Tip Clearance||Brussels||Belgium||08 - 09 February|
|2009||Telemetry, Slip-Ring and Wireless Sensors||Seine Port||France||22 - 24 June|
|2011||Dynamic Pressure Measurement||Munich||Germany||13 - 14 October|
|2015||Data Compression Techniques||London||United Kingdom||03 November|
|2017||Enablers for Wireless Technology on Gas Turbines||Amsterdam||Netherlands||27 November|
|2021||Towards a new Standard for Dynamic Pressure Measurement I||virtual||-||19 November|
|2021||Towards a new Standard for Dynamic Pressure Measurement II||virtual||-||03 March|
|2021||Instrumentation demands for Hydrogen and Bio-Fuels||virtual||hosted by Oxsensis Ltd.||06 May|
EVI-GTI is associated with
- The European Turbomachinery Society 'Euroturbo' 
- The Propulsion Instrumentation Working Group 
Full papers have been published in a Special Issue "Selected Papers from the 9th EVI-GTI International Gas Turbine Instrumentation Conference" of the International Journal of Turbomachinery, Propulsion and Power (IJTTP). The IJTTP is run by the The European Turbomachinery Society 'Euroturbo'.
Refences and recent citations of EVI-GTI
- EVI-GTI - The European Virtual Institute for Gas Turbine Instrumentation
- GROWTH - European Union’s New Platform for Competitive and Sustainable Growth
- A. R. C. Franken and P. C. Ivey, "The formation of the European Virtual Institute for Gas Turbine Instrumentation (EVI-GTI)," IEEE International Engineering Management Conference, 2002, pp. 871-875 vol.2, doi: 10.1109/IEMC.2002.1038553.
- HEATTOP - Accurate high temperature engine aero-thermal measurements for gas-turbine life optimisation, performance and condition monitoring
- STARGATE - Sensors Towards Advanced Monitoring and Control of Gas Turbine Engines
- 'Euroturbo' - The European Turbomachinery Society
- PIWG - The Propulsion Instrumentation Working Group (PIWG)
- IJTTP Special Issue "Selected Papers from the 9th EVI-GTI International Gas Turbine Instrumentation Conference"
- IJTTP - The International Journal of Turbomachinery, Propulsion and Power